With 15 years of experience in education, both internationally and in the UK, and as a scientist fascinated by the wonder of human beings, I absolutely love my job! I am passionate about building and maintaining supportive relationships, and thrive on supporting others to do the same.
Susan is a scientist with a specialism in human biology and a keen interest in neuroscience, who is also a committed and enthusiastic teacher, and a parent. Her career in education has included work across the age ranges both in the UK and overseas, and has involved demanding pastoral roles and innovative approaches to Early Years, Primary and Secondary teaching.
Susan also introduced and implemented the concept of sensory play for pre-school aged children in Brunei, using her understanding of early brain development to support less privileged children and their families.
Since returning to the UK, Susan has designed and implemented the science curriculum for a new secondary academy whilst working with fervour to build effective relationships among and between staff and pupils, and also between the school and the community which it serves.
- 2019–2020: Science Teacher and Year 7 tutor, Chertsey High School, Surrey
- 2018–2019: Bolder Academy, Isleworth (LB Hounslow): Lead Science Teacher
- 2017–2018: Brookhouse School, Nairobi, Kenya: Leader of Science, Year 7 Tutor
- 2016–2017: Project Sensori Play (0-5 years), Brunei: Project Creator, Manager & Facilitator
- 2012–2017: Jerudong International School (Day & Residential), Brunei: Science Coordinator and Teacher, Deputy Head of Middle Years
- 2010–2012: CfBT Education Trust, Brunei: English Teacher (Primary & A-level)
- 2007–2009: Netley Abbey Junior School, Southampton: SMT Upper Years Learning and Progress Leader; Science Specialist
- 2005–2009: Hampshire County Council: Primary Schools Leading Science Teacher
- 2006–2008: University of Reading/Hampshire County Council: Science Lecturer for Trainee Teachers
- 2004–2007: Calmore Junior School, Southampton: Year 6 Teacher/Science Manager
- 2001–2003: Centre for Human Science, UK Ministry of Defence: Exercise and Biomechanics Consultant
- In-Service Certificate in English Language Teaching, Univ of Cambridge (Distance Learning), 2010
- Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Educational Studies, Univ of Winchester, 2007
- Post-Grad Certificate in Education (Primary), Univ of Southampton, 2004
- MSc Biomechanics, Univ of Glasgow, 2001
- BSc Hons Physiology and Sports Science, Univ of Glasgow, 2000
- HNC Sports Coaching Children and Management, Cardonald College, Glasgow, 1996