In my work I constantly ask the question 'Will this make a positive difference in the lives of vulnerable people?' If the answer is yes, then the task is worth doing. I have little time for tick-box learning, as I believe that people learn best when they are inspired, interested and motivated.
Sally grew up in a family where permanency was offered to 12 foster children, This experience of the care system from the inside, strongly influenced her professional direction and personal beliefs.
Sally's working life began in a 97 bed hostel in Brighton before training as Probation Officer. At Kent Probation Service she worked in Courts, prisons and the community before moving back to Brighton to work within the public protection team.
In 2006 Sally left probation to work with Kate Cairns to establish and run a training organisation developing and delivering training and qualifications first for foster carers and then the broader children's workforce. She is currently the delivery and quality director at KCA.
Sally lives in Gloucestershire and has served as a governor and trustee for schools and children's charities within her local community.
- 2011– 2021: Director for Kate Cairns Associates
- 2009–2011: Sales and Customer Services manager for ALS Akamas
- 2006–2009: Training Manager for Akamas Ltd.
- 1999–2006: Probation Officer (Kent, East Sussex and Gloucestershire Probation Services)
- 1997–1999: Senior Support Worker for Brighton YMCA
- 1996–1997: Mentor, East Sussex Youth Offending Team
- Enhanced Thinking Skills facilitator accreditation, Kent Probation Service, 2001
- Agression Replacement Training facilitator accreditation, Kent Probation Service, 2000
- Diploma in Probation Studies, Portsmouth University, 2000
- B.A. (Hons) Social Policy & Administration, Hull University, 1996