Having spent the last 10 years working within the criminal justice system to develop children and family services, it is fantastic to be drawing on this experience to work alongside practitioners to develop their understanding and practice.
Polly joined KCA as an associate from a children's services manager role at Barnardo's where she managed the National Information Centre on Children of Offenders; implementation of Care Leavers in Custody service and the SW Children Affected by Parental Offending Engagement Service.
Polly has a particular interest in participatory research and policy development and co-authored the Social Care Institute of Excellence Guide Involving Children and Young People in Social Care (2006).
She has developed participation strategies within both health and social care services and is passionate in her belief that if any policy or practice is to effectively meet the needs of children and families, it must be informed by those who it affects. To this end, she has worked alongside children and families to provide them with the support and training to actively participate in the production of research and policy influencing. And has written and delivered training and related to participatory ways of working and presented at national conferences.
- 2016–2018: Children's Services Manager, Barnardo's
- 2015–2016: CAPI (Children Affected by Parental Imprisonment) Engagement Manager, Barnardo's
- 2013–2015: i-HOP Strategic Development Officer, Barnardo's
- 2012–2013: Research and Evaluation Manager, Pact (Prison Advice and Care Trust)
- 2008–2012: Freelance Research, Learning and Development Consultant
- 2007–2008: Policy and Research Officer, Single Parent Action Network
- 2006–2007: Freelance Researcher/Evaluation Officer
- 2003–2006: Research and Development Officer, Barnardo's
- 2001–2003: Research Intern then Research Assistant, Barnardo's
- BA (Hons) Sociology with 1st Class Honours, Liverpool University, 2000
- Lundi Memorial Prize for Academic Achievement, Liverpool University, 2000
- Supporting Children and Families Affected by a Family Member’s Offending – A Practitioner’s Guide (co-author) – Barnardo's, 2017
- Proofed for Parents by Parents; Participatory One Parent Proofing: Toolkit, (co-author) – Single Parent Action Network, 2007
- Chapter 13: Mental Health, Sure Start Children’s Centre Guidance (co-author) – DfES, 2006
- Practice Guide 11: Involving children and young people in developing social care (co-author) – SCIE, 2006