His teaching career of over 25 years culminated in being Head of Virtual School in two English local authorities, and he was one of the Heads who was on the Department for Children, Schools and Families national pilot. He was England's only Advanced Skills Teacher for Enterprise Education and Student Voice and Leadership and in this capacity worked with many national organisations to promote student voice.
Brian has also been a Local Authority foster carer and Special Guardian for over 20 years, providing with his wife long term foster care for large sibling groups. Currently, they are the Special Guardians of three girls that they previously looked after,and they regularly foster babies and toddlers in preparation for adoption. Brian is the Chair of the Fostering Networks England Advisory Committee, and has been involved in national pilots of one-to-one tuition, Treatment Foster Care and the Assisted Boarding School Pathfinder. He sits on the fostering panels of two independent agencies in the Eastern Region.
Two of the girls living with Brian have been seriously disabled by their birth mothers' consumption of alcohol while pregnant, and this has led to him becoming an expert in Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD). It is estimated that 3 in 10 of all children in the care system are affected to some degree by FASD. He presents on the topic nationally and also advises the Department for Education on the condition.
- 2017–Present: Assessor & Verifier for Industry (Vocational) Qualifications
- 2016–Present: Foster Care Associates Fostering Panel Member East Midlands Region
- 2013–Present: Independent Fostering Panel Member Foster Care Associates Eastern Region
- 2013–Present: Independent Trainer and Consultant, Field of Enterprise
- 2011–Present: Associate Trainer, Kate Cairns Associates
- 1993–Present: Foster Carer, Bedfordshire County Council and Central Bedfordshire Council/Bedford Borough Council
- 2016–2017: Independent Fostering Panel Member Scope Fostering Services Eastern Region
- 2016–2017: SCOPE Fostering Panel Member Eastern Region
- 2013–2017: Governor Glebelands Primary School Chatteris Cambridgeshire
- 2005–2017: Chair of England Advisory Committee, The Fostering Network
- 2011–2015: Chair of Educational Forum, Trainer and Consultant, The FASD Trust
- 2011–2013: Director of Education, Trainer and Consultant; The FASD Trust
- 2009–2013: Head of Virtual School for Looked After Children, Peterborough City Council; Consultant to DCSF pilot
- 2010–2011: Visiting tutor CPD Course on Looked After Children for Designated Teachers at Homerton College, Cambridge University & Cambridgeshire Virtual School
- 2008–2009: Head of Virtual School for Looked After Children, Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council; DCSF Pilot Head
- 2007–2008: School Improvement Consultant, Bedfordshire School Improvement Partnership / Bedfordshire County Council
- 2004–2008: Advanced Skills Teacher - Enterprise Education, Bedfordshire County Council
- 1988–2004: Teacher, Assistant Head of Year, Head of Carers Education & Guidance, Assistant Head Teacher: Hastingsbury Upper School & Community College / Hastingsbury Business & Enterprise College, Bedford - Geography, all Humanities subjects, Travel & Tourism, IT, Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme, Student Exchange Programme USA. Staff Governor.
- 1990–1994: Parent Governor John Gibbard Lower School Sharnbrook Bedfordshire
- Advanced Skills Teacher, Department of Education and Skills, 2004
- Certificate of Professional Development; Best Practice Research Scholarship - Student Voice and Leadership, Department of Education and Skills, 2001
- Certificate of Professional Study - Careers Education and Guidance, University of Cambridge, 1995
- MA in Management (Education), Open University, 1994
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Secondary), University of Leeds, 1984
- BSc in Applied Geography CNAA, Coventry (Lanchester) Polytechnic, 1983
- 'I know that I am in my own world; it's ok, they know me here' : the challenge of coping with FASD in educational settings. Adoption and Fostering Vol 39 (3) – Sage Publications/ Coram BAAF, 2015
- 'All about me' FASD workbook for 8 -14 year olds – FASD Trust, 2013
- Best Practice Research Scholarship – Promoting Student Voice and Leadership, 2001