- “ Lots of useful advice on listening skills and different question types ” Customer – November 2013
- “ [This course has helped me] to effectively communicate with the children in my care. ” Customer, Bedfordshire – October 2013
Communicating with children and young people
Level: 3 | Modules: 1 | Hours: 10
Every aspect of work with children and young people depends on good communication. This course enables learners to understand key principles in effective communication with children and young people. It also provides opportunities to practise and develop skills in effective communication.
Target audience: Children's workforce
Learning outcomes / assessment criteria
Understand key issues in communicating with children and young people
- Explain reasons why people communicate with each other
- Explain key skills required to communicate competently with children and young people
- Describe how you could recognise a range of communication methods and styles
- Describe barriers to effective communication
- Identify key principles in recording communication with children and young people including issues of confidentiality
Understand how to develop skills in communicating with children and young people
- Identify and use non-verbal communication
- Explain active listening techniques and how to use them effectively
- Describe open and closed questions and how they are used.
- Review appropriate methods and styles of communication and explain how you would check that a child or young person has understood what you have communicated
- Explain how you can record and share appropriately information about communication with a child or young person
This product is not currently available for purchasing via our website. Please contact us to discuss your needs.