Each of our associates has years of excellence in practice, using the theory and research that underpins our training and consultancy to inform their own work.
They come from a variety of backgrounds: foster care, early years, teaching, therapy, social work, psychology, health and justice. Many of them have moved between disciplines, as their interests have taken them in different directions. What they all offer is a wealth of practical experience, both in direct work with vulnerable people, and in sharing their knowledge and wisdom with others.
Interested in becoming an associate?
If you have a commitment to sharing transformative knowledge with those who work with children and families, and experience of training or consultancy as well as direct work, then becoming an associate with KCA may appeal.
For more information or to express your interest, please contact us. We will then review your CV, discuss your experience and explore the potential for working together.
Jo is a therapist, trainer and consultant who is held in particular regard for her direct work with children and families experiencing change such as divorce and bereavement. She has been designing and delivering courses for the last sixteen years broadly focused around people and communication skills. Over the last three years, Jo has worked more consistently in the field of attachment, trauma and secondary trauma.
Bringing her psychotherapy training to bear, Jo facilitates training for practitioners and carers that allows them to explore the ways in which their work with vulnerable children has left them exposed to secondary trauma. She delivers training that promotes resilience, enabling them to develop their skills and awareness to increase their work satisfaction.
- 1992–Present: Freelance psychotherapist, trainer and group facilitator
- 2004–2006: Funeral director and celebrant, Family Tree funeral company
- 2000–2004: Senior Practitioner, Winstons Wish
- 1999–2001: Child counsellor and project manager, Family Mediation Service, Wiltshire
- 1997–1999: Volunteer co-ordinator, Equal People
- 1996–1999: School Counsellor
- 1991–1993: Advice Worker and Project Co-ordinator, Citizens Advice Bureau and Teenage Information Network, Lambeth
- Post-graduate Diploma in Integrative Arts and Psychotherapy, Institute of Arts in Therapy and Education, 1998
- BA (Hons) English and Related Literature, University of York, 1989
- “ The trainer really knew her stuff and was able to tailor the sessions to the questions and needs of the group ” Tonia Vincent, Children's Centre, Leicester – January 2019
- “ Although I think of myself as a caring person, this course has given me food for thought regarding how I approach difficult situations and encouraging children to learn to resolve and self regulate their emotions. ” Alison Nicholls, Redruth, Cornwall – July 2018
- “ Jo McAndrews was excellent. She was extremely knowledgeable and passionate about the subject. She gave thought provoking ideas and was able to sensitively challenge preconceptions. ” Participant, Alton – November 2017
- “ Jo McAndrews was brilliant at delivering the course. She knew what she was doing, she was very friendly and positive. Her passion for five to thrive really helped. I think every parent should attend this course. Everyone would benefit from this. ” Participant, South West – January 2017
- “ Jo was personable & reflective - she challenged participants in a non-judgemental way, which really supported our learning. ” Participant, Derbyshire – November 2016
- “ The facilitator was easy to listen to and I found it motivating to want to learn more because of her passion and explanations on the subject. ” Jackie Hanley, South West – November 2016
- “ She was one of the best trainers I have come across in 32 yrs of therapy ” Lin Lee – July 2016
- “ Jo McAndrews was great! Full of energy, very knowledgable and passionate about the course. ” Participant, South West – June 2016
- “ Jo was great to listen to and very open to our comments.She was calm and showed empathy and guidance towards us... during the course I felt extremely calm even when thinking about situations where I normally feel completely lost. ” Beatrice Hatton, Watermoor Primary School – March 2016
- “ I really enjoyed the trainer's method of engaging with us as a group and getting us to get to a calm level whereby we were able to learn and take on this information. Thank you. ” Participant, Northamptonshire – May 2015
- “ Jo McAndrew's enthusiasm made the course more enjoyable ” Juliet O'Carroll, Hertfordshire – March 2015
- “ Jo was an excellent trainer, very knowledgeable. she made everyone feel at ease. ” Ginny Casey, Barnardo's UK – March 2015
- “ The trainer was very warm and friendly and encouraged the group to share the knowledge and expertise already held. She made us want to hear more! ” Helen Watson, Barnardo's UK – February 2015
- “ The training will benefit everyone who works with babies/children and teenagers. ” Baby Room Leader, Plymouth – February 2015
- “ This was one of the most informative, well presented training courses I have attended. The delivery and knowledge of the trainer was excellent. ” Mandy Dungey, Hemel Hempstead – December 2014
- “ The trainer was inspiring and passionate about the subject matter ” Participant, Hertfordshire – November 2014
- “ Jo McAndrews was a fantastic trainer, her enthusiasm about the subject came across in her passionate delivery. She made the course interesting and was brilliant in answering the very broad questions from an array of professionals. ” Michelle Chapman, Deputy Creche Manager, Happy Days Playroom – October 2014
- “ Extremely interesting, tutor was very friendly and welcoming which created a positive safe environment which created successful learning. Will take away a lot from this training ” Laura Wallington, Children Centre – October 2014
- “ I would recommend this course to anyone working with mums with babies. ” Early years practitioner, Hertfordshire – December 2013
- “ The emotion coaching has already changed my practice and will inform my policies in the future. ” Tracey Williams, Cornwall – November 2013
- “ Fantastic day... exceeded expectations. ” Anne-Marie Fearn, Cornwall – November 2013
- “ The trainer had a very calming approach along with a good sense of humour which made learning fun. ” Participant, Haringey – May 2013