Each of our associates has years of excellence in practice, using the theory and research that underpins our training and consultancy to inform their own work.
They come from a variety of backgrounds: foster care, early years, teaching, therapy, social work, psychology, health and justice. Many of them have moved between disciplines, as their interests have taken them in different directions. What they all offer is a wealth of practical experience, both in direct work with vulnerable people, and in sharing their knowledge and wisdom with others.
Interested in becoming an associate?
If you have a commitment to sharing transformative knowledge with those who work with children and families, and experience of training or consultancy as well as direct work, then becoming an associate with KCA may appeal.
For more information or to express your interest, please contact us. We will then review your CV, discuss your experience and explore the potential for working together.
Brian is a social worker and a qualified teacher. His broad experience in social work stretches back across four decades, and he has experience of teaching and assessment in social work since 1995. He is currently lead associate with Kate Cairns Associates, offering training and consultancy for carers and guidance and support to other KCA associates and staff. He is also a judicial office holder, and serves on fostering panels
Along with Kate and their three birth children, he provided a permanent family for twelve other children between 1975 and 1997. He has published a study of this work with BAAF as Fostering Attachments.
- 2013–Present: Specialist Lay Member, Mental Health Tribunal
- 2003–Present: Specialist Member, Care Standards Tribunal and Upper Tribunal
- 2003–2017: Member and chair of various fostering panels
- 2013–2016: Chair, Capstone Care Leavers Trust
- 2009–2011: BTEC Programme Manager, als-akamas
- 2007–2009: External Examiner, Social Work PQ, Sheffield Hallam University
- 2004–2009: Chair and Academic Director, Akamas Ltd
- 2004–2008: External Examiner, Social Work PQ, BAAF
- 1993–2007: Senior Social Worker, Emergency Duty Team, Gloucestershire CC
- 1995–2006: Tutor and Member of Assessment and Student Selection Panels, University of Gloucestershire
- 2002–2004: Assessor/Mentor, Practice Teaching Award, UWE
- 2000–2002: Assessor/Mentor, MA (Emergency Duty Social Work), University of Portsmouth
- 1975–1997: Joint Head of Home/Foster Carer, Children's Family Trust
- 1985–1993: Generic Social Worker, Gloucestershire CC
- 1972–1982: Teacher in comprehensive and special schools
- Practice Teacher's Award (TOPSS), UWE, 2002
- Certificate in Management Studies (Local Government), GlosCAT, 1991
- Approved Social Worker (Mental Health Act), South West Consortium, 1990
- Certificate in Applied Social Studies, University of Bristol, 1984
- Diploma in Social Administration, University of Bristol, 1983
- PGCE, University of Bristol, 1972
- BA (Hons) French/German & Theology, Cambridge University, 1971
- Fostering Attachments: Long-term outcomes in family group care – BAAF, 2004
- “ Would love to do it all over again! Kate was very inspiring; it was a very useful day, particularly in my new role. ” Participant, London – February 2014
- “ The best training that I have been on. It was relevant to my current role and got me thinking about my practice and how I can improve it and best support foster carers who care for children and young people with complex needs. ” Social worker, Salford – July 2012
- “ An excellent balance between statistical information and data alongside personal knowledge and experience. ” Patricia Tucker, Salford City Council – July 2012
- “ Very accessible in spite of it being a difficult topic. ” Patricia Tucker, Salford City Council – July 2012
- “ We will ensure that the excellent practice outlined during the course does not stop when the children leave our setting... It is essential that this is a whole school approach. ” Gabrielle Doherty, Teacher, North West – June 2012
- “ The content was interesting and thought provoking. It made me rethink ideas and approaches to pupils in my setting. ” Designated Teacher, London – May 2012
- “ Very knowledgable and experienced facilitator - added a personal touch by bringing his own experiences to the training. ” Cath Sobolewski, SWIIS Foster Care – March 2012