Each of our associates has years of excellence in practice, using the theory and research that underpins our training and consultancy to inform their own work.
They come from a variety of backgrounds: foster care, early years, teaching, therapy, social work, psychology, health and justice. Many of them have moved between disciplines, as their interests have taken them in different directions. What they all offer is a wealth of practical experience, both in direct work with vulnerable people, and in sharing their knowledge and wisdom with others.
Interested in becoming an associate?
If you have a commitment to sharing transformative knowledge with those who work with children and families, and experience of training or consultancy as well as direct work, then becoming an associate with KCA may appeal.
For more information or to express your interest, please contact us. We will then review your CV, discuss your experience and explore the potential for working together.
Susan is a scientist with a specialism in human biology and a keen interest in neuroscience, who is also a committed and enthusiastic teacher, and a parent. Her career in education has included work across the age ranges both in the UK and overseas, and has involved demanding pastoral roles and innovative approaches to science teaching.
Susan also introduced and implemented the concept of sensory play in a pre-school setting in Brunei, using her understanding of early brain development to support less privileged children and their families.
Since returning to the UK, Susan has designed and implemented the science curriculum for a new secondary academy whilst working with fervour to build effective relationships among and between staff and pupils, and also between the school and the community which it serves.
- 2019–Present: Science Teacher and Year 7 tutor, Chertsey High School, Surrey
- 2018–2019: Bolder Academy, Isleworth (LB Hounslow): Lead Science Teacher
- 2017–2018: Brookhouse School, Nairobi, Kenya: Leader of Science, Year 7 Tutor
- 2016–2017: Project Sensori Play (0-5 years), Brunei: Project Creator, Manager & Facilitator
- 2012–2017: Jerudong International School (Day & Residential), Brunei: Science Coordinator and Teacher, Deputy Head of Middle Years
- 2010–2012: CfBT Education Trust, Brunei: English Teacher (Primary & A-level)
- 2007–2009: Netley Abbey Junior School, Southampton: SMT Upper Years Learning and Progress Leader; Science Specialist
- 2005–2009: Hampshire County Council: Primary Schools Leading Science Teacher
- 2006–2008: University of Reading/Hampshire County Council: Science Lecturer for Trainee Teachers
- 2004–2007: Calmore Junior School, Southampton: Year 6 Teacher/Science Manager
- 2001–2003: Centre for Human Science, UK Ministry of Defence: Exercise and Biomechanics Consultant
- In-Service Certificate in English Language Teaching, Univ of Cambridge (Distance Learning), 2010
- Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Educational Studies, Univ of Winchester, 2007
- Post-Grad Certificate in Education (Primary), Univ of Southampton, 2004
- MSc Biomechanics, Univ of Glasgow, 2001
- BSc Hons Physiology and Sports Science, Univ of Glasgow, 2000
- HNC Sports Coaching Children and Management, Cardonald College, Glasgow, 1996
- “ Susan is an enthusiastic and energetic presenter who maintained my attention for the whole day, I aspire to be like you Susan thanks for a great day. ” Participant, Wiltshire – March 2021
- “ It was really helpful, well paced and relevant but not too formal. Useful to have the breakout rooms for discussions too. ” Paula Page, Wiltshire – March 2021
- “ I was hooked and listening intently for the whole session ~ really great, thank you! ” Participant, Hertfordshire – February 2021
- “ A great big thank you, another colleague was on the training too and we 'met up' afterwards and my first comment was 'I really enjoyed that'...not an easy task these days with on line training. So thank you!!! ” Participant, Hertfordshire – February 2021
- “ I really enjoyed how Susan presented all the information very down to earth and understandable and I could relate to. ” Julie Baulch, Hertfordshire – February 2021
- “ I found the course leader to be friendly and approachable which encouraged participation from delegates. ” Participant, BCP – February 2021
- “ I could listen to her all day. She is so very well informed and has a really fantastic way of delivering the material with the right blend of academics and 'on-the-ground' real life experiences. ” Renee Hulse, Harrow – February 2021
- “ I thought the trainer was very positive and enthusiastic in delivering the training. It moved at a good pace and the breakout rooms were really good for discussions. I enjoyed it ” Chrissie Fay, BCP – January 2021
- “ We are starting baby groups up again and the new training has given me more confidence. ” Participant, Hertfordshire – January 2021
- “ To adapt our school's Behaviour for Life and Learning Policy and to use the shared vocabulary to coach staff through tricky situations! ” Kay Bridson, Wiltshire – January 2021
- “ I absolutely loved it! The visuals are really useful as well as a good paced presentation. ” Kay Bridson, Wiltshire – January 2021
- “ Having worked in school the morning following this webinar, I used strategies mentioned and they worked... today! ” Carol Perry, Wiltshire – January 2021
- “ Really interesting content, clearly and expertly delivered with perfect balance of group delivery and break out rooms, well done and thank you! ” Customer, BCP – December 2020
- “ A true expert, it was a real privilege to be part of the session. ” Customer, BCP – December 2020
- “ As a mentor for a lot of children with trauma, this training has helped us as a team to form some action plans on how we can move forward to support these children and staff ” Participant, Knowsley – December 2020
- “ Very inspiring and thought provoking - ready to incorporate into everyday practice ” Elishia Jones, Hertfordshire – December 2020
- “ This is one of the best training sessions I have been to. Took a lot away from it. I also love the section where you used your hand to describe the brain never heard of this analogy before but its helped cement the knowledge into my own brain. Thank you ” Fleur Harrison, BCP – December 2020
- “ The training was well presented with enough information recapping and new knowledge, plenty of time to discuss in small groups and plenty of opportunities to as questions throughout. Very interesting and enjoyable to attend. Thanks you ” Ness Clark, BCP – December 2020
- “ I really liked the presentation of this training; much better than some online ones that I have experienced. ” Participant – November 2020
- “ KCA course continue to be very informative and inspiring ” Tim Sandford, Hampshire – November 2020
- “ This was a great course, well presented with great visuals. The Breakout rooms were great and the variation of activities. This was the best virtual course I have attended. ” Jessica Galvin, Wiltshire – November 2020
- “ The course facilitator was amazing! For such a long remote training session it did not feel 'long' at all. She was so enthusiastic and knowledgeable about 5 to Thrive. It made the day of real value. Thank you! ” Polly Marsh, Wiltshire – November 2020
- “ I found the tutor really engaging and easy to listen to. I really enjoyed this training and will definitely be using what I have learned in my work as a children's social worker ” Juliet Thomas, Hertfordshire – November 2020
- “ It was an infomation packed day. It was delivered under challenging times and i thought very well. I enjoyed the virtual chat rooms. ” Louise Chant, Wiltshire – November 2020
- “ The content was reflective of our community and practice. It was also about emotional wellbeing of children, parents and practitioners. To me it was like a sequel to my Solihull training. Fantastic! ” Florence Oyewumi, Hackney – October 2020
- “ Very enthusiastically delivered and upbeat considering the session was so long. Susan seems passionate and knowledgeable and it was very interesting. ” Kate Chorlton, Wiltshire – October 2020
- “ The opportunities for people to discuss the themes and ideas was invaluable. So often, school staff are deprived of this opportunity to embed their thinking and understanding. ” Jill Joseph, Hackney – September 2020
- “ Her ability to manage and hold a large (not always cooperative) body of staff was impressive. The pace was also judged correctly given the audience. ” Jill Joseph, Hackney – September 2020
- “ The best and most informative training session I have ever attended, wish they could all be at the same level. thank you ” Kim Clements, School-based staff, Dorset – January 2020
- “ Was totally engaged by the amazing speaker. Her passion was palpable and the presentation extremely professional. ” Claudie Thornewill, Primary school teacher, Dorset – January 2020